Thursday, June 08, 2006

The “Heat” of Summer

Several times each day, people ask me when Baby Kaos is due to make his entrance into the world.

“End of August”, is my typical response.

To which they say a variation of the following:

  • “Oh, you’re going to love the heat!” (in a sarcastic tone)
  • “What a horrible time to be pregnant. What about the heat?”
  • “Why did you choose to get pregnant during this time and suffer through the heat of the summer?”

And, my typical answer is: “I grew up in the Southern Arizona, and I’ve also spent several years in Las Vegas, so, I’m not overly concerned about ‘the heat’ of the Pacific Northwest. After all, we live on the coast. And one’s definition of heat is relative.”

This usually causes them to stifle.

Sometimes, when I know the person, I’m feeling particularly surly, or they feel they need to push the issue I'll say: “Well, the timing for my husband and I is actually perfect. He’ll be done teaching summer school, and then he doesn’t report back to school until the end of September, so we’ll have about three or four weeks of the two of us being at home with Baby Kaos.”

What I’d like to say to people is: “Well, the baby’s like his Daddy in that he comes when he comes.”

Other times, especially when I’m super crabby, I’d like to say: “Fuck you for judging me. You don’t really have the right to do that. Are you a conservative?

But I don’t. I refrain.

5 comments:

t2ed said...

You could also blame your HMO and claim they forced you to have the baby at the end of August because it's the offseason for hospitals and the rates are cheaper.

Amelia said...

That's a good one! Thanks! :)

Unknown said...

Gotta ask... what's considered "hot" up there?

Amelia said...

80...for like a week. But, it's not a dry heat, yo. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Say that daddy thing, you guys, that's hilarious. But definitely bust out the HMO thing- people's responses will be hilariously.