Saturday, November 12, 2005

Do You Speak French?

Zel and I went to Chinese food last night with some good friends.

One of them had on a new blue fleece pullover. It brought out her eyes.

"I like your fleece," I said.

"Thanks," she said. She looked at me a bit longer than usual. She's a lesbian, but I don't think she was trying to get me to hit on her.

But I did anyway.

"It brings out your eyes," I said.

"Thanks," she said again, and continued looking at me.

Clearly, she wanted me to say, "Where'd you get it?" So I played along.

"Do you speak French," she said.

I wasn't expecting that for an answer. "What the hell does that have to do with the price of tea in China?" I didn't say this because we were sipping our hot tea at the Chinese restaurant. I really wanted to know where she was going with this one.

“Well…I’m trying to figure out a great way to translate the store into French, but it hasn’t been easy.”

I looked at her, and the expression on my face must’ve said something like, “What the goddamn are you talking about?”

She continued: “Saying ‘Goodwill’ in French just doesn’t flow.”

6 comments:

Josh Ramsey said...

Bon Fera ...

Amelia said...

Josh, does "Bon Fera" mean "Goodwill"?

Thanks! ;)

--AK

Josh Ramsey said...

si

Amelia said...

grassy-ass! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm not the blue-fleece chick reported above (but I know where she hangs out).
Someone else not named Josh suggested "bonne volanté" is appropriate for "good will". This translation has the added benefit of being shortened to BV which sounds like Bay Vay..... which sounds chic, eh? It flows.

Amelia said...

No, because BV stands for Bacterial Vaginosis. I'm not sure Blondie wants to shop at Bacterial Vaginosis.