Sunday, October 02, 2005

SOLITICING ADVICE: What do you get for your brother who's about to turn 21?

My Little Brother is turning 21 in 2 weeks.

The question is: what do you get for a 21-year-old?

He's a junior at the University of Arizona, majoring in Creative Writing.

He's traveled all over the States; been to Mexico several times; Italy, Ireland, France, England, New Zealand, and Australia. I'm sure I'm missing a couple of countries.

The last time I saw him was for his high school graduation. (He's the kid on the left. The kid on the right is his good friend, who currently lives in Japan. My Little Brother hasn't been to Japan yet, but it's on his travel list.)

The last time I spoke with him was nearly 3 months ago. He was headed off on a trip to the South Pacific (Note: the image below was taken on the NZ/Aussie trip, not in the Pacific Northwest. He hasn't been up here yet, either, but we're moving up on his travel list. And, I have absolutely no idea what "All Blacks" is. We're 12 years apart. Am I that out of touch with the generation after mine?)

We talked about a conclusion he made: He'll graduate in two years with a BA in CW, but he'll most likely have to continue waiting tables because, afterall, what the hell do you do with a BA in CW?

He talked to Zel and I about graduate school and what we thought before he pitched the idea to The Parents. He figured we were the people to talk to about grad school because we both have our Master's. Mine is in Education with an emphasis in Health Promotion; Zel's is in Mathematics. (I frequently hear things, which can include, but are not limited to: "Education degrees are for pussies!" and "Call me Master, woman!" and "Science degrees, like one in Mathematics, isn't a touch-feely degree, like one in Education!", and "Well, I suppose you're alright, because your Bachelor's is one in Science!" Sweet Junior Diva, you know?)

But, in typical Amelia style, I digress.

So, My Little Brother is planning to apply to grad school. He's thinking he'd like to teach English and/or Creative Writing at a community college. And, since he'll have three months off during the summer, he'll be able to work on screenplays and other things creative writers work on.

We asked him why he wanted to get his Master's. He's intrigued by the autonomy, the ability to meet different people, to get paid to think. He said, "I'll be a considered a Master of my subject, you know what I'm sayin'?"

I know what he's sayin'.

So, I'm currently soliciting your advice!!

What do you get for your brother who's about to turn 21?

For the past several years, I've baked him chocolate chip cookies. For Christmas last year, I made him a quilt. It was supposed to be his birthday gift, but I was working on a couple of different quilts, and it turned into a Christmas gift instead.

Any and all ideas are welcome! (Except another quilt. I'm a bit strapped for time!)

Ideas need to actually be submitted no later than Friday, 10/7. This way, I'll have a few days to get the gift and ship it down to the desert!

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration of my request.

Love,
Amelia
xxoo

1 comment:

Amelia said...

I hear what you're saying about the really good whiskey, but it's illegal to ship alcohol across state lines unless you have a license to do so. I was thinking perhaps some information on binge drinking and why it's important to NOT do that. Or, maybe some information on the effects of secondhand smoke. He's a waiter, and he's inhaling that shit on a pretty regular basis.

Re: the HOTTTTTTTTTTTT MEd hotttttttttttties, Zel said, "hardly." Nice. So much for him relieving his SRH on me.

And, goddamnit if you and your mathematic disability isn't special!!!!!!!! I'm so excited for you that you're getting rug burns on your knees! That is totally HOTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! (Please note: maximum hott level is 12 T's).