Sunday, October 23, 2005

Decided on a Birthday Gift

For My Little Brother, we decided to get him two books for his 21st birthday. We thought about the suggestion posted to the blog (thank you Evie! The rest of you suck for not providing suggestions!). However, shipping alcohol across state lines without a license is illegal.

The first book is Blindness, by Jose Saramago. Both Zel and I recently read this. We picked it up for My Little Brother's birthday to expose him to different styles of creative writing. After all, he'll have his BA in Creative Writing one day.

The second one is Fast Food Nation: The Dark Side of the All-American Meal, by Eric Schlosser. Again, something we've both recently read. We picked this one because My Little Brother is becoming socially conscious. For example, he recently watched The Corporation.

I'm not gonna lie, we haven't seen this yet. But, I can't express to you how exciting it is to watch this kid become aware of how evil corporations are...how they shove their propaganda down our throats...how many of us eat it up like popcorn that was popped with saffola oil on the stove, and sprinkled with sea salt.

I think the last book I gave My Little Brother was Good Night Moon when he was like two years old.

He said he was glad to receive Blindness and Fast Food Nation, and that he'll probably read them when he's on Winter Break. Right now he's reading for pain and not pleasure.

It appears giving him books is a hit.
I think the next book we'll get for him is The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon (thanks to The Girls for recommending this one to us!).

No comments: