Saturday, August 11, 2007

Disposable Thermometers?

We grew up with mercury thermometers, and we're fine, just fine.

The latest and greatest invention is the digital thermometer. We have four; yes, F-O-U-R digital thermometers.

We have two that can go into a person's ear, which we received for baby shower gifts. We have two that you can use in the mouth, under the arm, or up the A. I purchased these: one for home and one for the diaper bag.

The trouble started Thursday night, when Baby Kaos felt like he was going to spontaneously combust. I grabbed the non-ear thermometer...dead battery. I found non-ear thermometer #2 in the diaper bag...dead battery.

WTF??? I've had these non-ear thermometers less than a year. My son has been sick a total of TWICE in his 11 months of life.

My Mommy-OCD kicked in, and I kept pushing the “On” button on one of the non-ear thermometers. FINALLY, it decided to give me one attempt. I stuck the thermometer under his arm: 103.something. Sweet Jesus. His entire body was hot to the touch, and it was a bit scary.

Although Baby Kaos has never been too fond of the ear thermometer I tried and got a similar reading. And I had to wrastle him down to get it. And, I'm never sure about this thermometer...did I stick it in far enough...did I stick it in too far...I hope I don't hurt him....

We were up for about 2 hours in the middle of the night. Went to the doc's the next day. Ear infection. No wonder he hollered when the ear thermometer went in. Sorry, Baby Kaos.

On Friday afternoon, I went on a mission to find a new battery for the non-ear thermometer. I start calling around. I call the pharmacies: no battery. I call Radio Shack: Special order for $4.99 + Shipping (Huh? I may as well get a new goddamned thermometer!). I call the jewelers: $14.02 with tax, lifetime warranty. If, at any point in my life, the battery dies, they'll replace it for free. That's nice.

Hang on just a second: On the thermometer instructions that I kept, it says, “Battery Life: more than 300 measurements or approximately 2 years if used every other day.” My Mommy-OCD isn't that bad, I don't take Baby Kaos' temp every other day. The company is getting a phone call on Monday.

But, since I can't track down a reasonably priced thermometer battery in my community, are thermometers now disposable?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

How much was each thermometer? Kinda sounds like they have a racket going on.

Are there health issues with old fashioned thermometers? I had em too and there's nothing wrong with me either. Well, maybe not *nothing*...

Kinda interested since we're trying right now :)

Randy Anderson said...

Dude, the "old fashioned" thermometers are made with mercury.

Apparently, the fact that we all survived to varying degrees of "normalness" (i.e. there's nothing wrong with me) is irrelevant, because we've got to "protect the children" and thus it's no longer politically correct to use (or say you use) those "old fashioned" thermometers. If you have one, keep it. It's gotta be a collector's item someday. Well, unless it was used to take your temperature rectally.

Unknown said...

I knew that the old school one's were made of mercury, but I didn't know they had stopped making them. Wussies.

I have actually never personally purchased a thermometer. The one we currently have was one that Karen bought, and I gave her so much shit because it was digital. "ooh Ms. Fancypants needs a digital thermometer... oooh la la"

Heh.

Amelia said...

I think I spent about $8.74 on each digital thermometer. Purchased at the Evil Empire. I know this particular model retails for $15 or so at Amazon.

I called the company yesterday--they wanted my name, address and phone number right off the bat (which I didn't give 'em--bastards!). I explained what happened--had them both less than one year and the batteries are both dead. She said to try removing the battery and then re-inserting it--sometimes the unit will reset itself. Honestly. I told her I did that. And then she put me on hold. When she came back, she said to go ahead and mail them to the company, make sure I insure them and put a tracking code on the package and they'd send me two new units within 4 - 6 weeks.

Cause I have a bunch of time to wait around to get new digital thermometers. For the trouble and price, I may as well just see if the Evil Empire can get me a battery.

As for Karen getting a digital--good for her! They're much easier to read--especially for those of us who are victims of OCD and use the BBT method and ovulation kits to get pregnant! Good luck to you guys!

Anonymous said...

dude, seriouslah. WTF with the digital thermometer people? I'm pretty sure the stuff wrong with me cannot be attributed to the mercury thermometer. I hate digital thermometers.

Amelia said...

Maybe your troubles are because of the digital thermometers, you guys.