Monday, July 24, 2006

Comment of the Day, July 24, 2006

I went into the ladies’ room today. Not that the act of using the ladies’ room is different from any other day.

But today, there was a different conversation. I don’t want to engage in conversation with everyone I meet along the way to the bathroom or with all the ladies in the ladies’ room. I’m trying to work at work; my boss gave me the deadline of being done with all of my shit by August 1. During the last month, she wants me to be able to go home and take a nap in the middle of the day if I feel like going home and taking a nap.

But for some reason, everyone wants to talk to me.

Sometimes I get lucky and don’t bump into anyone in the hall or in the ladies’ room. Today, I didn’t get lucky.

Picture this: I’m heading into the stall, turning around to shut the door so that I can pee my brains out. I hear, “How are you feeling?” Apparently she and I are on the same schedule today.

It’s the woman who saw me earlier, when I was pale and needed to get something to eat, which I had planned to do as soon as I made a used water deposit. But, because I was pale, she insisted that I go down to where all the nurses work and have them check on me…take my blood pressure, which was fine, just fine.

“Oh, hi,” I say in a polite manner. “I’m fine, thanks, just fine.”

“Well, you were so pale earlier. I remember how it was when I was pregnant with my daughter. I needed to eat every couple of hours,” she said.

“Yeah, I’m finding I need to do that, too.”

“Well, how far along are you?”

“Baby’s due at the end of August”, I said.

“Oh. Well, I was your size when I was 5 months pregnant. My labor and delivery were really bad, too.”

This was where I should’ve said, “I don’t mean to be rude, but I really need to go,” and simply shut the door. I had the opportunity, but I let it pass me right by.

Fortunately, I was able to tune out most of what she said. Zel is the Master of Tuning Out. He does it to me all the time, and that’s ok. Our relationship works.

She went on, and this is what I heard: “Blah blah blah…ended up going into the Big City by helicopter…blah blah blah…and I delivered my uterus.”

I thought she meant her placenta. Nope. She said uterus. She said it more than once, so that’s when I decided that she knew the difference between a placenta and a uterus. She said it was so rare that they wrote about her in medical journals.

“But don’t worry, the chances of that happening are only like 1 in 200,000. But, because you know me, it’ll probably happen to you,” she jokingly said.

Nice. Don’t joke about that shit, ‘cause it’s not funny. It’s mean.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why do people say that shit? When my dad went in for his first cancer surgery, the guy signing him in was like, "Oh my uncle had the same surgery and when they opened him, they found cancer everywhere, and it was horrible."

What the f is that about? Did they eat a bowl of stupid for breakfast?

Amelia said...

I think we're so disconnected as a society from one another, we do and say pretty much the first thing we can to connect with the other person. I think it's sad.