Friday, September 29, 2006

Pretentious

According to Webster.com, Pretentious is an adjective that means, “expressive of affected, unwarranted, or exaggerated importance, worth….”

There are things that, as a new mom who has to make special arrangements to simply take a shower, are pretentious for me right now.

Here’s my pretentious list, which is in no particular order:

Jewelry.
I had to take my wedding and engagement rings off about 8 months into my pregnancy because I couldn’t get them off one day. Zel said to take them off and leave them off; after all, we didn’t want them to be cut off and then have to pay for them to be repaired. I also don’t wear my necklace, watch, or bracelet any more. I probably will some day, but today it’s not important. Besides, I’m a bit nervous that I’ll scratch Baby Kaos.

Shaving.
This includes my legs and my pussy. I finally did break down and shave before Baby Kaos was born. In spite of the fact that it was a lot of work at the end of my pregnancy, I had to shave it up, yo. I just needed to feel human. I’m going to have to shave at some point, though. I’m starting to not be able to stand it. I’m starting to feel like a bit of a Goonie Goo-Goo.

Waxing my eyebrows.
In college, Mel trained me to pay close attention to my eyebrows. She’s meticulous about her eyebrows. Before I went to DC in February, I made sure my shit was cleaned up and presentable to the Eyebrow Queen. But right now, I just don’t really give a shit. I’ll eventually breakdown and wax them, but I think I’ve a couple more weeks on this one.

Lotion.
Not only do I not have time to moisturize, I don’t give much of a shit. But, I have to put my face lotion on my face. I also have to put lotion on my hands because I wash them frequently (lots of diaper changes = lots of hand washing). I also have to put lotion on my feet, otherwise, someone will get shot.

Curling my hair.
Do I really need to expand on this one?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You better put lotion on your feet before you shoot somebody.

Anonymous said...

Judging from the frequency of recent posts, you could include blogging on that list.

Amelia said...

Absolutely. Blogging is somewhat pretentious, too. Thanks for adding to the list!

Anonymous said...

You guys, did you put lotion on your feet, or did you shoot somebody?

Amelia said...

I put lotion on my feet, you guys.

And, makeup is pretentious, too, you guys.