Sunday, December 17, 2006

Let There Be Light

We have power again. It was off for 37.5 hours.

You read that correctly. Thirty-seven and one-half hours.

The power went out about 2:15 a.m. on Friday, 12/15. It came back on about 3:45 p.m. on Saturday, 12/16.

Melanie said, “That's a whole work week, and you guys didn't even get paid for that shit, you know what I’m sayin’????”

I know what she’s sayin’.

We had a wind storm that hit our area and wreaked havoc all over the place. There were about 25,000 people in my county alone without power. There were trees and power lines down all over the place. It was a fucking disaster.

My boss called me on Friday morning and basically said to not leave the house. But, I’d already left. She spoke with Zel and then he called me on the cell phone, but it was off and so he was upset (“Why the hell do we have a cell phone if you’re not going to turn it on?!?!”).

I couldn’t get into work even if I really wanted to because the road was blocked in both directions: a power pole to the north and a tree to the south. We were trapped. So I went home and Zel and I drank some hot chocolate. I had marshmallows in mine.

The upside is we still had heat because we have propane and have a gas heater for the primary heat source in our house. So, we didn’t freeze, which was good because Baby Kaos doesn’t need to freeze, you guys.

We were also still able to cook because we also have a gas stove. But, Zel didn’t make me cook. He took me out to dinner on Friday night (which is a normal thing for the past 10-1/2 years anyway) and then we went to breakfast on Saturday morning. We were going to go out on Saturday night, too, but the power came back on so we went to the grocery store and bought all the things we had to throw out that were in our fridge.

The checker at the grocery store said I should send the utility company my bill. Yeah. Perhaps Ma Nature will pick up the bill.

Oh well. At least we have light and can eat at home again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sucks, you guys. Sorry you had to go thru that. :(

Amelia said...

Thanks, Luis.